Sunday, April 20, 2008

Saving the World with a Thong

October 17, 2007

Never wear a thong when you're hauling a heavy, 60-yard bolt of fabric.

As some of you know, and those of you who don't, I have ventured into unfamiliar territory and went where no Claire has gone before (not this Claire anyway).

All those years I said I never wanted to own a business - well, never say "never". It must be an age thing, a human development thing, a soul-searching desire for some kind of career nirvana... Say what you will, but I couldn't take it anymore and decided to do it my way. The save-the-planet way. ^_^

Am currently designing an eco-friendly, environmentally-conscious clothing line to be launched at LA Market next week (accessories later). Not in a big way, just in an under-the-radar kind of way (in other words, no fund$, so no big hoopla runway show or anything). It feels good to be doing something that makes a difference. I wish you all could feel this holy rush. What makes me even more happy is that I'm making that difference while doing what I love at the same time: create.

But boy, is it *hard* - this doing-everything-by-myself thing.

For one, it took me *forever* to think of a name for the clothing line. After much deliberation and lists of everything I could think of nearly these last couple of years, I polled family and friends a few months ago 'til they oozed "eco" and "green" out of their pores. For those of you who stuck by me and tolerated my name-journey for days on end, I thank you. The planet thanks you. For those of you who didn't, oh well I thank you anyway. I'm just that kind of person. =)

Then came FBNs, dba's, trademarks, copyrights, setting up accounts, applying for a business loan (to which I got denied, bummer - dang corporate beaurocracy - whatever happened to believing in dreams?); meeting with my amazing merchandiser/sales rep; sourcing eco-friendly vendors for environmentally-friendly materials and services (which are hard to come by); and then, finally, actually designing and sketching the line; then sent out sketches to a patternmaker; patterns to send out for cutting; cut bundles to give to seamstresses to sew garments; and to quote "The King and I", et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

As always, in this often-mistaken-as-fabulous garment biz, a monkey wrench gets thrown into the loop.

Found out yesterday that the cutter and sewing service were backed up with work and are not able to produce my designs. So immediately I opted for Plan B (Plan Budget). I picked up the patterns and fabric, took them to my lil' apartment, cleared my small Ikea bachelorette dining table (I don't really have "real" grown-up furniture), and started cutting. It's like "Project Runway" on acid. Or cocaine, whatever helps you imagine. Allz I knowz is, never wear a thong when you're hauling a 60-yard bolt of fabric - it doesn't feel pretty (reminds me of my Vegas thong adventure, for those of you who know - deja vu!).

So now I'm halfway done with the cutting, and am extremely out of energy. Add to that sleepless nights, work 'til the wee hours, and even forgoing meals - which, to those of you who know me, you should relish in thought as you know I never usually decline food.

But you know what, amidst the blood, sweat and tears of starting up this biz, I hate to sound cliche, but it's worth it. I enjoy it. I feel a new kind of fulfillment - both creative and spiritual at the same time. At 2:00 in the morning on this mid-October eve, with my mess on the table and on the floor, after watching "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno", "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" AND "Last Call with Carson Daly" while I cut fabric and my sorrows away, I am reminded that life is beautiful, am blessed with supportive friends and family, and very fortunate to have a wedgie from my thong because I was carrying 60-yard bolt of *ORGANIC* cotton.

No comments: