Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

A-HAH!!! Just in time for Earth Day: I found another way to save/help the planet and us poor, doomed souls living in it (please see below blog "Older and Wiser...?" for reference).

I've been hoarding those unassuming-but-annoying junkmail reply envelopes all these years, as I haven't had the heart to discard them. Someone actually took the time to design the layout, the fold, etc., and a machine used up who knows how much energy to cut, fold, print, seal and affix that dang nasty-tasting adhesive on it. At first I tried to send holiday greetings and letters (regarding a family reunion for 150 people, another story), but most of it came back from the post office as not useable, even though I marked out all the print on it and added "Recycle Me" all over the envelopes.

Knowing that the post office might have a chance not to accept them, this week a bright light turn on in my head, flashing like a neon sign in Las Vegas, "Use me for invoices!!!" You see, instead of putting invoices and packing slips with customer's orders in the plastic pouches UPS provides for free (again with the adhesive, plus plastic can take forever to biodegrade), I opted to chuck the darn things and use my reply-to junkmail envelopes to put them in. This way, they are also in the boxes as opposed to being affixed outside of the boxes for anyone to just rip off and take.

So, happily I've been taking my marker (wish someone would make eco-friendly versions), marking off the printed material, adding "Recycle" and happy faces all over them. I'm sure my clients will think I'm wacko, but also am sure not only might I put a smile on some, but will definitely remind all to reduce and reuse. :)

2 comments:

VRG said...

WoW! You are becoming an eco-diva! It's great that you are recycling the envelopes and using them for your line. Something to be said about brand cohesiveness!

fashiophilanthronista said...

Or ":brand adhesiveness", lol!